Thursday, March 11, 2010

Welcome, Baby Ashley

So much can change in three weeks' time! As I sit here typing (one-handed!) and cradling my baby girl in my arm, I can't help but be amazed at God's goodness to me. On February 20, just one day after my last post (the one where I was feeling frustrated, anxious, and disappointed), our little miracle arrived. Everything about her birth was perfect--so much better than I'd even dared to hope. For starters, I was hoping for a short labor (who doesn't--unless, of course, you live hours away from a hospital). I started feeling painful contractions a little after 3 PM and told Chris not to rush, but he might want to get his bag packed. I started timing contractions--they were coming about 3 to 6 minutes apart. I figured I had several hours to go and tried to distract myself with housework. Chris called his parents to come get the kids. I still thought there was no need to rush, but later I was so very, very thankful that he called when he did. By the time Eliana and Seth had gone, all I could think about was getting to the hospital, having some drugs injected into my spine, and relaxing for a few hours until the baby came. We got to the hospital around 6 PM and Chris wheeled me into the lobby where I waited while he parked the car. I told him to take his time--I was in pain, but not as much as I would have expected if I'd have known how far along I really was. When Chris came back in from parking the car, I was hunched over a chair in the lobby trying to remember Lamaze breathing techniques. He somehow managed to push me in the wheelchair plus lug several overnight bags up to the maternity ward. When we got to the check-in counter the staff person was waiting for us (thanks to my wonderful husband for calling while we were on our way there) and told us to go straight back to our room. Our room was all set up, everything ready to go, and a nurse waiting for us. I thought, "Wow, they must think this baby's coming soon. I hope they're not disappointed." I made sure I let the nurse know right away that I wanted an epidural. She looked a bit hesitant and told me she needed to check me first. Contractions were getting stronger now. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me I was at a 9 and my water was about to break! I seriously thought I'd probably only be at a 4. Then she said, "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're not getting an epidural." That scared me. I imagined the pain only getting worse and worse, but to my surpirse, it really didn't escalate a lot after that point. The nurse seemed impatient to get the doctor in--a good sign, I thought. Somewhere in there my water broke like a great big tsunami. Then I felt the baby's head crowning. I think it was four pushes and out she came! I was still surprised at how quickly everything had happened. We had only gotten to our room 30 minutes earlier! 6:43 PM, 21 inches, and 7 lbs., 15 oz. But no one bothered to tell us that she was a "she!" Since there had been mec in the fluid, I didn't get to hold her right away, so Chris called across the room to where the nurses were making sure her airways were clear and asked them what we had. A girl! Now for the naming process. From our very short list of mutually-acceptable names, Chris picked Ashley and I picked Katherine.
Thanks to a short labor and no epidural numbness, I was able to move around right away after the delivery, watch Ashley take her first bath, and move to our post-delivery room. It was early enough that Chris's parents were able to bring Eliana and Seth to meet their baby sister. It was a sweet event to get to introduce them to our new baby.
Things were going so well that we were able to leave the hospital the next day. Chris and I were both ready to get home and begin life as a family of five. I couldn't help but be overcome with gratefulness for God's many blessings. Mostly, I was thankful that I'd gotten my heart's desire of having a drug-free birth (even though I'd asked!--God's timing is perfect, isn't it?) and that our baby girl was healthy. The whole event is evidence of God's merciful goodness to us.
So, that's the story of how Miss Ashley K. made her appearance into the Damsgard family. And now, nineteen days later, it's had to imagine life without her! She is a delightful little baby, and I'm loving all the snuggling and loving on that little fuzzy head that I'm getting to do these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment