Today Chris and I celebrate 6 happy years of marriage. I have truly been blessed with a husband who has many, many outstanding qualities. Here are a few of the reasons for which I'm grateful to be married to my wonderful man!
1. Family worship: I am so thankful for Chris's commitment to participating in corporate worship. He values the gathering together of believers and holds family participation in worship services as a high priority.
2. Sharing faith: I have often been amazed at my husband's boldness in sharing his faith with co-workers and acquaintances. He has a knack for turning pretty much any conversation to spiritual matters in a way that doesn't seem ackward. He has studied different religions and is always ready with a good answer when approached with difficult questions (Col. 4:6).
3. Teaching opportunities: Chris is always finding ways to teach our children. Whether it be Seth trailing him while he changes a busted belt on the car (as he did earlier this week) or helping Eliana apply a Scripture to a difficult situation or attitude that she is struggling with, he takes advantage of opportunities to help our children grow in knowledge and wisdom.
4. Says it like it is: Unlike me, my husband is straightforward and clear in his communications. If a solicitor shows up at the front door, Chris can say, "No thanks, I'm not interested," without getting roped into an unwanted demonstration (a skill I have yet to master).
5. Details matter: He studies, he reads, he researches, he learns, he observes. It's important to get things right. And for a laid-back personality like mine, it's good to be reminded that details matter.
6. He can figure anytthing out: His engineering mind amazes me--really! When he puts his mind to something, he can always figure out a way to make it work--even if it takes days of focus and hard work.
7. Active in our children's education: I am so blessed to have a husband who loves being involved in his children's education. He often takes time in the evenings to work on Seth's reading lessons or review handwriting skills with Eliana. He has spent hours researching and reviewing curricula and methods of educating that will work well for our family.
8. Is really good at surprises: Our honeymoon was good evidence of this. All I knew was that we were going to Oregon. Chris planned everything else out, and what a marvelous trip it was!
9. Calm when the unexpected arises: There have been a handful of times in our marriage when I was anything but calm (like when I chopped through an underground cable with my shovel last Fall), but my husband is the rock, always poised and levelheaded, and knowing how to react--without over-reacting.
10. Providing for his family: I am so thankful for a husband who works hard and plans ahead to make sure his family is and will be well provided for.
11. Loves to continue learning: I greatly admire Chris's desire to read and acquire new information. It inspires me to do the same.
12. Ability to explain things: Chris is a great talent of teaching. I love how he can take things that go way over my head and put them into clear and consice Lacinda-terms.
13. Not given to unwise spending: I really appreciate my husband's caution when it comes to opening the checkbook. Although the checking account has often been an area of tension between us, I would much rather be married to someone who leans toward spending too little than too much. I am so grateful for his motivation to stay debt-free and to be well-prepared for our future.
14. Knows that sometimes I just need to cry: One of the best things Chris did for me in the first few weeks after our first child was born was to come home every day after work and ask me if I needed to cry. I was feeling very overwhelmed by my new role as a mother, and those little cry times were just what I needed to relieve some stress and make it through the rest of the day. Since then, he's been wonderful about being there when I need a little "cry time" after a hard day.
15. Provides perspective that I would miss: We often view things from different angles. Chris brings into perspective details in issues that I never would have noticed on my own.
16. Supports my desire to be a stay-at-home mom: I am so thankful for the privilege of being at home with my children and that I have a husband who encourages me in my role as a mom and homemaker.
17. Family Time: Chris knows the importance of spending time together as a family. He's great at suggesting outings and field trips that the kids will enjoy. I also love watching him play "David and Goliath" with Seth or teaching Eliana how to ice skate or snuggling with Baby Ashley. And I love those nights when we get a few hours after the kids are in bed to play some of our favorite games like Skip-Bo or Catan.

No comments:
Post a Comment