Friday, June 10, 2011

31 Days to Clean: Not the Grand Finale I'd Hoped For

First off, let me say that I loved this book. It has helped me to think about how I can manage my home with God at the center. So many times I read the how-to's of homemaking and come away with frenzied thoughts of how I need to cook better, be more hospitable to others, and scrub my kitchen floor more often. I tend to get stressed out easily and discouraged when my life doesn't look nice and neat (which is almost always). That's why I love how Sarah Mae takes time emphasize what is most important and what is eternal, the God-focused matters of the heart. This was way more than a to-do list. The devotionals were practical, sometimes convicting, and saturated with Biblical wisdom.
Of course, I still wanted to finish the 31 days with a shiny, sparkling home. But I didn't quite make it. In a previous post, I wrote that I fell way behind with family vacation, my grandma's death, and Chris's frequent work travels. On top of that, it was a big month for gardening, and many extra hours were spent outdoors. I have to say that I started out the month very enthusiastically, in spite of knowing that I'd have to crunch to complete all the Martha challenges. The wind completely left my sails, however, when it came time to work on window treatments. Probably the most monstrous blunder of all my homemaking years was made when I over-zealously decided that the best way to clean my living room and dining room drapes would be to stick them in the washer. Writing this just makes me wish I could go back and have that day to do over again. I felt sick when I saw the limp, shrunken drapes that resulted from my foolhearty fervidness and wondered what in the world I was thinking. It's hard not to make a mistake that ruins hundreds (possibly thousands) of dollars worth of household items and not want heap on myself torturous reprimands of how I should have been more cautious and knowledgable of such things. I mean, really, how can I take care of a whole house and family when I don't know the do's and don't's of keeping my window treatments alive and well?
So I took a break for awhile and just focused on the everyday tasks--laundry, dishes, and picking up. Slowly I've began reading again. I'm focusing only on the Mary challenges for now, but I want to start doing the Martha challenges again too. I've been greatly encouraged by some of the quotes from Day 12:
"We have Jesus' perfection imparted to us for all of eternity if we know Him (Hebrews 10:14)"
Your worth does not lie in your ability to clean well; your worth and value lie in Chrst alone."
". . . ask God to replace any lies you are believing with the truth."
So, looking back, I have to say that over all, the readings, the challenges, the blunders, the accomplishments have been good for me. As I've looked into the crevices of my home and worked on cleaning some of those hidden areas, I've also taken a closer look at the crevices of my heart and some of the overlooked areas there that need some dusting and polishing.
This seems like an incongruous and lighthearted way to end this post, but the song from Nemo, "Just Keep Swimming," is repeating itself over and over in my brain. I guess I need simple Nemo-song reminders too. So, here's to another day of swimmning and not heeding the temptation to give up. Thanks, Nemo, and thanks, Sarah Mae, for offering this heart-and-home check!

4 comments:

  1. I had to drop the deep-cleaning for gardening and yardwork about halfway through, too. I've kept up with the readings and the Mary challenges though. I've really enjoyed this challenge/study and its emphasis on progress rather than perfection.

    I had a window treatment mishap, too, just during this challenge. I thought the gauzy curtains and canopy in our master bedroom were dry-clean only, but when I checked the tags, they said I could wash them at home. Two of the three panels came out fine.... the other one has four long, parallel tears through it. I almost cried. They didn't cost much, but we've been on a VERY tight budget for as long as I can remember and this was one of the few unnecessary things I'd allowed myself to "splurge" on. The way I have them hanging, you can't REALLY tell, but I know they're not perfect anymore. I'll definitely never do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your feedback!!!!! You are one of the reason I created new challenges (I am you!). Also, any feedback you want to send me (sarahmaewrites at gmail dot com) would be great so I can revise the book for print!

    Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't looked at your blog in ages! I loved scrolling through them and seeing all your creativeness and I love your droll sense of humor when looking at life through your blogger eyes. I always learn so much from you, little sister. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. It was just what I needed to read this morning. :)

    It sounds like you did a great job with this book. No, you didn't follow it to the letter, but you focused on the (Mary) challenges that you knew your heart needed. You can always go back and work on cleaning like Martha. Remember that story though, when Jesus told Martha that He would NOT tell Mary to help because she had chosen what was more important? The state of your heart is more important than the state of your house.

    ReplyDelete